Sunday, October 30, 2011

Soccer

Here is Hayden trying to get the ball. Last year Hayden hated soccer, but he had not been diagnosed with Celiac then and had no energy. The poor kid couldn't even make it through a whole practice. I explained to him that I wanted him to try it again this year because now that his body is healthy he might like it.

We got lots of grumbles and complaints. Finally I said "Hayden I want you to give it a good try, last year doesn't count, you give it a good effort every practice with a good attitude this season and you still don't like it I won't make you do it again. If you complain and don't give it a good try I'm going to make you do it again next year and the year after that and the year after that until I feel like you have actually tried it."

I don't expect my kids to be super athletes, I just want them to give new things a good chance before they make their judgment. He tried his little heart out the first practice and said he still didn't like it. I said that's fine, you give me that kind of effort all season and you still feel that way when it's done you won't have to do it next year.

After three practices he loved it and actually decided to take on additional soccer class after school once a week for four weeks.

Coy on the other hand couldn't wait for soccer to start. He absolutely loves it.

He is in his element, always happy out there, always can't wait for the next weekend so he can do it all over again.

He is pretty darn good too, if I do say so myself. He is agressive and starting to get the idea of not bunching around the ball.

There is no convincing this boy to try new things, if anything I'm going to have to slow him down a little. He only has so much time in a day.

No comments: