Saturday, December 29, 2007

Merry Christmas

We had a very Merry Christmas. Coy woke up first of course, he always does, so we woke up Hayden and brought them down stairs to see what Santa brought them in their stockings. They dove right in. The stockings are the one things we just let them go at. Santa brought them the usual toothpaste and toothbrush, candy, and of course some fun toys.
Our tree is all the way down stairs so when they finished their stockings I think they thought that was it. We proceeded down stairs to what turned out to be, to my surprise, a very organized gift unwrapping.
Daddy plays Santa and gives out one gift at a time, while mom juggles the still camera and the video camera. They got lots of fun stuff, what you see here is only the tip of the ice burg. We would like to say thank you to everyone and if you ever get a chance to see the home video you can see the boys saying thank you too.
We are now play dough experts. The boys just started getting into it, so Uncle Eric and Auntie Kristyn go them two big kits. I think we have all the play dough gadgets there are and the boys love it. I love it, it's actually something I enjoy sitting down and playing with them.
Santa brought Coy a little toy cat and Hayden a helicopter. I don't believe Santa should bring so much, the stocking and one or two gifts under the tree is enough. For goodness sakes he is buying for the whole world you know. Travis and I are still trying to find a compromise, because the majority of his gift came from Santa when he was a kid. I just don't want to push the Santa thing too much since it really is not the true meaning of Christmas.
My theory is let them believe, but not so much that it's traumatizing when they realize the truth. Travis says I just want all the glory and I said that's right, I bought them, I wrapped them, I wracked my brain what to get them, why shouldn't I get the hugs and kisses. Of course Travis gets the hugs and kisses too, so for him he gets the prize without the work. Call me selfish, but my mind travels to the future all the time when hugs and kisses won't be so plentiful and it saddens me, I want all I can get now.
I was very impressed with the boys and how well they took turns letting the other open their gifts and opening their combined gifts together without fighting as well. There are moments when they don't fight and I was thankful that Christmas morning was one of them.
For those of you who don't know the story of Hayden's birthday presents, let me just review. Years ago Travis was given a train set he held on to, so for Hayden's birthday we didn't actually buy him much because we were giving him the train set.
Well it was a piece of crap and broke after them using it just twice, so Coy's big Christmas present this year was a train set, that is sturdy, and we got Hayden an extra engine to go on it. I am so happy we got this for them they play with it all the time and love having their own engine. I no longer feel guilty about gypping Hayden on his birthday.
Hayden's big gift this year was a new bike. He was too interested in the train set to care too much on Christmas day but now he is very excited to get it outside and play. If we can get a day when it didn't just snow or the driveway isn't a sheet of ice. Of course Coy needs a turn to sit on it too and I'm sure he will have few turns when I'm just pushing him. This spring should be lots of fun.

1 comment:

Our EyreLife said...

Your boys look SO grown up!!! Even Coy looks like a full blown KID! Holy cow! I'll call you in a few days when our company has left...its pretty crazy around here, but I'm SO GLAD you got your package in time! THANK YOU FOR MY CALENDAR! SO CUTE!
Love you!