Saturday, June 5, 2010

Student of the Month

Back at the end of January Hayden was upset he once again did not get student of the week and that some kids had gotten it multiple times. I am not the kind of mother who will put up a fit because my child didn't get awarded something I or he thinks he deserves. I'm realistic enough to realize I'm partial and am not at school so don't see the whole picture, but when they are kindergartners and children start getting an award multiple times while others have received nothing at all I start to wonder. We are dealing with 5 and 6 year olds here, little guys that don't quite understand the dynamics with this type of thing.

So Travis and I made a deal with Hayden to try extra hard to be helpful, attentive, nice and so forth and that if he tried really hard he surely would get it, and that when he did we would take him and his brothers to Chucky Cheeses again. So February comes and goes. Each week goes by and we ask at the end of every week who got student of the week, to which Hayden said "no one". To our confusion we thought maybe they don't award it every week.

The last day of February I pick Hayden up from school and go straight to my mom's for a few days and to my girlfriends from there and completely forgot to ask about student of the week with all the hub bub of our little get away. I also figured he would tell me out of his excitement if he received it anyway.

We got home from our vacation and Hayden said, "oh yeah Mom I got student of the Month". I said, "what"? He responds, "I got student of the month I got a certificate and everything." Lo and behold I look in his folder, that I had forgotten about all week and he had a certificate. I was so excited for him, but he wasn't. He thought because the deal was Chucky Cheeses for student of the week and he got student of the months that he wouldn't get to go.

We explained that student of the month was even better. We laughed about this for a while and had a great time at Chucky Cheeses. Then he got student of the month again the next month. I asked the teacher what was going on to which she explained they changed things and now they give student of the month to every child that full fills the requirements for it. Much better for a group of 5 and 6 year olds.

No comments: